Y’all, Tennessee summers are hot. Hot and humid. Okay, Tennessee summers are also incredibly beautiful because everything is green and blooming and there are hosts of fireflies blinking about once the sun goes down, but it’s also hot.
Every season presents its own challenges to weddings, especially if some part of the day is going to happen outdoors. Summer, the season of sunshine and cookouts, is no exception. So if you’re planning a summer wedding, I recommend these ten products to help make your wedding perfect!
If any part of your day is happening outside, please offer your guests a fan. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive or fancy, just something they can wave to keep them cool and to keep them from rushing the bar the moment they’re able. One popular idea is to turn your program into a fan by printing it on card stock paper and attaching a stick to it.
2. Cocktail Hour
Summertime is a great time to include a cocktail hour because no matter where the ceremony and reception are you’ve likely got some outside green space that let’s your guests enjoy a view and a cold brew.
3. Bug Spray
Ugh, nature. Such a pretty backdrop, but such a pain in the rear. Some guests won’t think about adding bug spray to their bags, so I’d recommend buying a can or two and leaving it the restroom. If the bugs are bad, word will get out fast that there’s spray in the restroom and the party will continue with less scratching.
4. Waterproof Mascara. Waterproof mascara is pretty much a must no matter what season your wedding is in, but during summer it does double duty. Waterproof mascara will keep your face track-free whether you cry or sweat.
5. Extra Deodorant. Instead of just your usual swipe in the morning, bring the deodorant with you. If it’s really warm, add an extra swipe on places you think you might sweat extra heavy, like your lower back and your hairline. You think I’m kidding, but you’d be amazed at how much it helps keep you dry at least during a ceremony under the sun.
6. A Pedicure. At some point during your big day, those toesies are going to show. Treat yo’self.
7. Water. Put it everywhere: in galvanized buckets by the ceremony, at the bar, near the dance floor.
8. Yard Games. The weather is amazing! Small likelihood of rain, beautiful grass, and sunshine are in your forecast, so bring out the croquet and cornhole. It’ll give your guests something to do while you and your groom take pictures, and it’ll keep the uncles busy while the young folk dance it up.
9. Color. Let winter have its whites and fall have its darker hues, summer is the time to revel in bright colors. Pick one or pick them all because happy, vibrant colors will put everyone in a celebratory mood!
10. A Great Getaway. Whatever mode of transportation you’re leaving the wedding in, keep the windows down and enjoy the summer breeze as you drive off into the sunset.